Parents are often stymied by the process of picking a good school for their kids. Word-of-mouth recommendations can be misleading. High test scores provide only a limited picture of a school’s effectiveness since they often reflect family income with wealthier students scoring better. Northwestern University economist C.
- Pre-k attendance improved significantly with the initiative, surpassing comparison schools and the district average.
- Attendance and school climate improved over time in elementary schools, matching or surpassing the district average, not significantly more than comparison schools.
- Test scores in grades 2-8 improved along with the districtwide improvements.
- Students fared better in the transition to high school—reducing the gap with the district average but not closing it—and at similar rates as comparison schools.
- High scho
- The CDDA ID enables the linkage of CPS and NSC data to ISBE and ICCB data through the ILDS, providing valuable additional information on CPS graduates’ two-year college outcomes.
- NSC appears to be a reliable source of data on CPS graduates’ two-year enrollment and completion of any credential in a two-year college.
- NSC data cannot be used to calculate completion rates of CPS graduates’ specific credential types from two-year colleges, including associate degrees.
- Most CPS graduates with blank or uncategorizable completions in the NSC
Students in Chicago and many in the suburbs have been out of the classroom for months now because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
But a recent report by McKinsey and Company found that with remote learning, students -- on average -- are likely to have experienced nine months of learning loss in math...
When kindergarten teacher Tabitha Brown received her class list for this fall, there were 27 names on it. But then her school, Global Village Academy, a charter north of Denver, announced it would start the year virtually. The list dropped to 18.
Six weeks later, enrollment inched upward as the school reopened, only to fall again in a month when it closed due to rising COVID-19 cases. Brown’s class is just one example of the disruption affecting classrooms as students fall off the radar...