The 5Essentials School Reports:
Utilizing 15 years of data, researchers at the University of Chicago Consortium on School Research found that schools strong on at least three of the Five Essentials are 10 times more likely to improve in math and reading. The Five Essentials are:
- Effective leaders The principal works with teachers to implement a clear and strategic vision for school success.
- Collaborative teachers The staff is committed to the school, receives strong professional development, and works together to improve the school.
- Involved families The entire school staff builds strong relationships with families and communities to support learning.
- Supportive environment The school is safe and orderly. Teachers have high expectations for students. Students are supported by their teachers and peers.
- Ambitious instruction Classes are academically demanding and engage students by emphasizing the application of knowledge.